john diggle appreciation week | day 4: favorite funny moment
Sure! I just want to warn you from conforming to stereotypes.
First of all, I think you really need to be specific about where your fortuneteller comes from. Different strands and types of fortune telling comes from different places and cultures. Tarot cards specifically originated in Italy in 1391. It’s actually related to Catholicsm. They were associated with the Romani because people thought that Tarot cards came from Egypt and the Romani were thought to have come from Egypt. These are all false myths. Tarot cards existed in Italy and France way before the Romani settled in these respective countries. Tarot cards are a type of playing cards and playing cards inherently are related to divination. Actually, fortune telling with cards were sort of interpreted by these three writers who thought it was fun to insert symbolic meanings into the cards disregarding the history of where the cards even came from. They also wrote extensively about occultation and the relation with the Romani. But really, it’s just false. The idea that Romani are tarot card readers and fortune tellers is a horrible stereotype that should really be dispelled. So, it depends whether your character wants to portray the eccentric vagabond in order to get money or someone who really believes in what they’re doing.
Read more about it here:
- History of Tarot Cards
- The History of Tarot Cards
- Tarot History
- The Real History of Tarot
- Romani Society and Culture
- Tarot Cards
Which brings me to a second point, if I see another Romani character calling themselves Gypsy, I will throw something at you. Gypsy is a slur. That’s it. That’s all you need to know. Don’t use it. Also, please please please research Romani spiritual believes before throwing any sort of magical act for them. Playing a fortune-teller is great, seriously, so much fun! But please be respective of someone else’s culture and beliefs. Make sure that whatever you’re doing, whether it be tarot card readings or reading tea cups, you’re grounding it into something factual.
Read more about beliefs here:
Third, as seen from above, I don’t think that a fortune-teller would ever call themselves Roma, unless they’re trying to con you out of your money. Which is totally fine, playing a con-artist is fun on its own.
Research on these types of characters:
Fourth, if you’re playing a modern-day fortune teller, it is way easier to make her a real human being with no association to romani stereotypes, and simply make her someone who realizes the art form and is proud of it. There are academics based on the art of tarot cards, and you can make this person a scholar.
More on Tarot Cards:
- Symbolism and Synchronity: The Art of Tarot
- Things you should know about Tarot
- Do Tarot card readings actually work?
- Confessions of a tarot card skeptic
- Becoming a Professional Tarot Card reader
- What every newbie tarot reader should know
- How to become a tarot expert
Finally, I would suggest talking to your RP partners about their future plots. For example, if a character asks your character a question you don’t know the answer of, don’t make it up, just ask! Fortune tellers are there to guide you when you need them and really offer the counselling that someone is searching for. Therefore, it’s important that you build the relationships between the characters and understand what you need to say. By doing so, you can help others further their plots and build the reputation for your character in the fictional community. Also don’t be afraid to offer your services to other people. Let them know that you have a character here who can be a non-biased ear to someone’s character and a guiding light. A fortune teller should always be someone who is open and ready to help discuss problems with their clients. Unless, they are a con-artist, then plotting with other people would be really useful there.
Hope that helps!
i really love hearing about ghost stories, folklore and the like, and im sure there people out there who can relate, so i decided to throw together a masterpost. this collection is the result of a half hours’ worth of googling around. i apologize if there are any broken links - if you catch one, please fix it. additionally, if you know any good links that arent listed here, feel free to add them!
browse carefully - some of these are pretty creepy. lots of violence and swearing scattered around, etc.
- List of ghosts
- List of common misconceptions
- List of backmasked messages
- Category:Folklore by region
- Category:Folklore by nationality
- Category:Fairy tales by country
- Category:Urban Legends
- Category:Reportedly haunted locations
- Category:Films based on urban legends
Snopes: (warning: some popups! snopes is sometimes an unreliable source, so i suggest taking its articles with a grain of salt, but theyre still a pretty good read.)
- 136 creepy wikipedia articles (not all urban legends, but still a really excellent masterpost!)
- American Folklore (havent delved too deep into this website but it has a lot of content - check the links across the top in the red bar)
- Creepypasta Index - Highest Rated (again, havent read all of these but theres some classics on here i recognize)
- All-Lies (has some irritating ads, but theres a lot of stuff on here. take note of the sweet ’90s flames on the bottom of the page)
- DisneyLies - (sister site to the previous link. im not sure why there are so many creepy myths surrounding disney, but these are pretty good. also has some pretty rad flames)
okay so I’ve seen a lot of really cool things around the internet so I thought I’d compile a bunch of references and fun things into one easy post for y’all! this has been a real long time in the making but it’s finally finished uwu (◡‿◡✿)
- any links on this masterpost broken? use this!BEING AN ADULT
- 50 sci fi and fantasy works every socialist should read
- a whole bunch of cv/resume templates
- any lipstick colour you want for cheap
- college survival masterpost
- food for broke college kids
- how to answer common job interview questions
- how to become an adult
- how to look busy even when you’re not
- learn languages
- need to escape from a bad home situation?
- short introductions to politics and other grown up issues
- should i vote ukip?
- what are my transferable skills?
- what the fuck should i make for dinner?
- writing a cover letterCHEER UP
- 24/7 cute animal livestreams
- 7 cups of tea
- cute websites
- feeling ok?
- feeling stressed?
- for when u hav feelings
- for when ur sad my lil pumpkin
- happy things
- positivity tag
- trekkie care packageFILMS
- afi’s top 100
- all the disney and pixar u could want
- animated faves
- find a good movie to watch
- ghibli \ wes anderson \ sofia coppola
- good movies to watch whenever
- lgbtqia+ movies
- lovely big movie masterpost
- ooo scary movies
- studio ghibli subs n dubs
- totally 90’s
- what do you mean we’re not 10 any more?FOOD
- a whole bunch of delicious recipes
- breakfast on the go
- cheap and healthy snacks
- ever wanted to try lembas bread?
- lavender lemonade
- make your own vitamin water
- microwave mug snacks
- my food and recipe tag
- no more ramen
- quick and easy snacks
- quick and easy soups
- recipes from your favourite fandoms
- smoothie recipes for every occasion
- study snacks
- supercook ingredient match
- thinking about going vegan?FUN STUFF
- cute games
- if ur real bored
- coolio psychological games to make u think
- easy blanket nest
- more cutie games
- plants that help bees
- realistic drawings and animations of plants
- reject someone in elvish
- waste time!
- write a letter to a disney characterGENDER & SEXUALITY
- chest binder tutorial
- helpcorgi’s gender + sexuality masterpost
- if someone tries to tell you your sexuality isn’t natural
- lgbtqia+ movies
- movies about gay ladies
- music monday
- resources for cis allies
- roundup of the best ya novels w lgbtqia+ characters
- simple cami binderMENTAL ILLNESS
- 7 cups of tea
- anxiety masterpost
- bipolar disorder masterpost
- depression masterpost
- disorder specific coping strategies
- feeling isolated?
- help w mental illness
- if you’re not good at reading body language
- need help but low on cash?
- panic and anxiety info and resources
- read web text more easily
- recovering from emotional trauma
- recovery resourcesSCHOOL
- a fuckload of free books
- back to school masterpost
- can’t afford microsoft word?
- cool sciency things
- exam survival
- getting up in the morning
- gigantic study masterpost
- learn anything | also on youtube
- lots and lots of free books
- peer-reviewed alternative to wikipedia
- pull an all-nighter
- remember more of the things you study
- simple essay structure
- study skills
- useful websitesSELF CARE
- alleviate menstrual cramps
- boost your confidence
- funny non gendered sex education
- love yourself!
- more sex ed
- on your period?
- self help after anxiety
- stop biting your nails
- stop procrastinating
- stop skipping breakfast
- super silky summer legs
- tumblr saviour for the rest of the webSOUNDS
- all the music posts you’ve reblogged
- calming noises
- daft punk
- get shit done mix
- music to write to
- my mixes on 8tracks
- star trek ambient sounds
- star trek ds9 infirmary background ambience
- when you can’t remember the name of a song
- which artist should i listen to next?THEMES
- brilliant theme makers and other useful things
- list of simple theme makers
- make your own theme from scratch
- the cutest themes on this websiteTV
- 90’s cartoons
- black comedy written by charlie brooker
- bob ross’ joy of painting
- cute urban fantasy miniseries w positive depiction of a disabled character
- danish political intrigue w subtitles
- every star trek episode ever
- gangsters in the ’20s - gr8 lady characters
- giles & sue
- how to watch classic who | now here’s the masterpost!
- jack davenport and idris elba fight vampires
- paul mcgann fan? you will be after this
- series about cool people starting a colony on another planet - if you enjoy babylon 5 and deep space nine you’ll love this
- the hour
- the x files
- twin peaksMISC
make me choose
➝ sicktodeathoflogic asked: merlin
no such thing as a bad time to get these circulating again ok
There’s a really close thunderstorm and my iPod just hit the red.
then and now
- Shut Up, Dr. Phil
- Season Seven, Time for a Wedding!
- Adventures in Babysitting
- The Slice Girls
- Plucky Pennywhistle’s Magical Menagerie
- Party on, Garth
- The Girl with the Dungeons and Dragons Tattoo
they started listening to fall out boy
i don’t watch this show what is going on
well it’s actually fairly simple